CALL for PAPERS
Initial Submission Deadline Extended to 17-May
Download PDF CFP flyer
Conference Dates: October 17 – 20, 2019
Venue: DoubleTree by Hilton Seattle Airport
The 9th IEEE Global Humanitarian Technology Conference (IEEE GHTC 2019) is an international flagship conference sharing practical technology enabled solutions addressing the needs of underserved populations and resource constrained environments around the world and the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UNSDG).
Stakeholders from the public, private, education and research, societal, funding and donor sectors are invited to submit proposed papers (or presentations) sharing Sustainable Development and Humanitarian Technology related insights, experiences, good practices and lessons learnt from a research, policy, practitioner and/or community perspective. To this end, GHTC welcomes paper and presentation submissions in the Sustainable Development and Humanitarian/Appropriate/Assistive Technology spaces. Submissions by practitioners (governmental, for-profit and non-profit), academics, private sector actors and policy makers describing intervention design and implementation, field experiences and best practices, case studies, project monitoring and evaluation results, and original research are of particular interest.
Focus areas for IEEE GHTC 2019 include (but are not limited to):
- Agriculture & Food Security (SDG2)
- Good Health and Well Being (SDG3)
- Quality Education (SDG4)
- Clean Water & Sanitation (SDG6)
- Affordable & Clean Energy (SDG7)
- Disaster Mitigation, Preparedness, Response & Recovery
- Communication/Connectivity in Support of Development
- Other Related United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (e.g. SDGs 9, 11, 12, 14)
As well as describing technological aspects, submissions are encouraged to consider socio-cultural, socio-economic, environmental and policy perspectives, and how sustainable development best practices such as community engagement, capacity building, local ownership, co-design and Collaborative Open Innovation, Social Return on Investment (SROI), Theory of Change planning, and PESTLE analysis are applied.
Three types of submissions are possible for presentation at GHTC:
- Full Papers are appropriate for mature work or completed projects and should not exceed eight pages;
- Short Papers are appropriate for early stage projects or authors wishing to share a snapshot of results-in-progress, experiences and perspectives, and should be three to four pages in length including a short reference section.
- Oral-Only (Poster) Presentations are appropriate for work-in-progress, projects in the pre-implementation stage as well as an option for practitioners, policy makers or community representatives who do not want to write a paper. Oral-Only submissions should be described in one page.
Short Papers and Oral-Only Presentations will be accepted for presentation either during a paper session or poster session at the discretion of the Program Committee.
Complementing the 2019 IEEE GHTC Conference Proceedings, accepted papers presented during the conference will also be submitted for publication in IEEE Xplore®.
A selection of accepted papers will be invited to submit a revised and extended version to an IEEE journal.
|Full Paper, Short Paper and Oral-only submission for review deadline||
May 17, 2019
|Special Sessions (e.g. demo, panel, discussion) deadline||June 15, 2019|
|Notification of acceptance / revision requirements (19-Apr deadline)||
May 27, 2019
|Notification of acceptance / revision requirements (17-May deadline)||July 1, 2019|
|Submission of accepted Full Paper/Short Paper and Oral-only Presentation||July 31, 2019|
|Author Copyright forms deadline||July 31, 2019|
|Author early registration deadline||September 16, 2019|
See the conference Author Central pages for information on making a submission.
- Conference Chair: Paul M Cunningham, IST-Africa Institute
- Vice Chair: Ed Perkins
- Program Chair: Silvia Figueira, Santa Clara U
- Technical Program Chair: Henry Louie, Seattle U
See full committee at this page.
GHTC 2019 is sponsored by IEEE Region 6, IEEE Seattle Section and the IEEE SSIT.